Wednesday, February 23, 2011

King Kong (1993)

I watched the newer King Kong movie last year. The older version came up on my list this week. I was surprised at how closely the newer movie had followed the older one.

I expected I wouldn't really be impressed by the old movie. Most of this is due to the fact that special effects of today have dulled the reaction that the crowd at the original film would have experienced at seeing a beast on the screen 10 times taller and a thousand times as massive as the main characters. But more importantly for my own perception of the movie, was some of the things that were done. For instance, the doorway through the wall to Kong's part of the island was massive. If I were building a wall that I wanted to keep King Kong behind, I certainly wouldn't build the door big enough for him to get through. And once the men progressed into the island, they were viciously charged by a stegosaurus, something significantly improved in the new film.

Overall, I didn't care for the older movie, and liked the new version only a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment